Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Leave your bags at the door...


As a teacher, when you walk into a classroom you are like an actor walking on to the stage. The classroom is a teacher’s theater and the children are watching very closely. Whatever personal problems or issues you are carrying when you arrive at school have to be left at the door when you enter the classroom, otherwise it will affect your performance. A teacher’s bad mood can really have an impact on a child’s day and even worse it could possibly make a long lasting unpleasant memory for the child.

 Over the course of my career teaching, I’ve gone through several periods where my personal life was weighing heavily upon my soul. In the past, these personal issues have affected my presence in the classroom leaving me less available for the children than I could have been. Over time I’ve learned that no matter what is going on for you the children always need you and they in turn can become a great source of strength.

What really got me thinking about this particular concept was when one teacher I worked with told me, “Sometimes when I’m in a really bad place, I just can’t wait to get to the class sit down and just be with the children. It really cheers me up. Being there helps me forget the bad things I’ve got going on.” I had to stop and think about what she said. I realized that it’s all about being present where you are and focusing on what is going on around you. When you can do that when you work with children, it is possible to forget just about any negative thing you’ve got going on and even if it is just for a little while that’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment