Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Let's get the show going


I am a man working in the field of children’s early education.  As a male preschool teacher, it did not take long to realize that I was in the minority working in a field that for whatever reasons has been traditionally populated by women. It came as no surprise to me when I came across the statistic from 2005 that in the U.S.  2.3 percent of preschool and kindergarten teachers are males. After having thought about it for some time, I have decided to start a blog about my experience working in different preschool classrooms over the past ten years.  I intend that much of the focus of this blog will be related to the various issues about being a male in the field, but I also plan on addressing topics that are important to all preschool educators male or female.  I hope this Blog will be beneficial to anyone interested in getting into the field or for those who already work in early education.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!That's a pretty low percentage!I didn't realize that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I was pretty surprised too. I knew it was low, but I did not think it was that low.

      Delete